10/6/09

Stuff and Such

I thought an update might be in order since I haven’t posted for a bit.

First, my lupus and fibromyalgia have been flaring and the pain is not leaving me a lot of typing time beyond working on my novel. I am trying to stick to a schedule of rewriting a chapter a day. So far, I am fairly close to that goal but I have to type for small spaces of time and then take a rest before I can type more. Thank goodness I have the flexibility to do this. I did consider voice recognition software but I just can’t speak my story. There is something magical that happens when I put my fingers on the keyboard.

I just finished rereading my first five chapters and I feel like something is missing. The prose is a bit boring. I have a feeling that I need to spice it up a bit either with better description or wittier dialogue. Maybe both? It is something I feel I need to get a handle on before I proceed any further in my rewrite.

Good news is that this morning we had Online Northwest install wireless internet access. We live in the country and until now have had satellite since cable and DSL are not available to us. It looks like Online Northwest will just about double our internet speed. This is going to make online life so much more fun. The installation guy was wonderful. Our house is so surrounded by trees that he could not get a signal from a dish mounted on our house. So, he installed it up in one of our trees. So far, it is working great!

I signed up for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) a couple of days ago. If any of my readers are Wrimos and want to find me, my username is TCStaples. I am very excited for November 1st and beginning work on my new novel. If my pain calms down a bit, I would love to bump my rewrite to two chapters a day and try to finish my current WIP before beginning the new one. If not, I will try to manage both at once if I am able.

That is about all the news from me. I hope that your writing is going wonderfully and that you are enjoying some beautiful fall weather.

9 comments:

Laura said...

Sorry to hear that your medical conditions are flaring up. It's good though that you've been able to do some work on your novel. Setting a workable pace is so important. Hugs to you. Hope you're feeling better soon

Wandering Coyote said...

Thanks for the update, Tamara. Nice to hear from you. I'm sorry you're still in pain, though...

Jill Kemerer said...

Well, I'm sorry you're in pain, but I'm thrilled you're making progress with your book! Congrats! And NaNoWriMo sounds fun. Lots of other bloggers are signing up. Good luck!

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

Drifter,

Yes, I am finding my rhythm and how to best work with (or around) the pain.

Hugs back at you,
Tamara

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

Jill,

I missed a couple of days of working but am back at it today. I love participating in NaNoWriMo because it is a whole month where the main thing I think about is writing. At the end of the month I have (hopefully) a 50,000 word rough draft that I can begin revising. Thanks so much for you kind thoughts!

Warmly,
Tamara

Wendy Love said...

Tamara,
Sorry to hear about your pain challenges. I know what that is like. I am going to sign up for NaNoWriMo too, couldn't resist.

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

Wendy,

Thank you! Yippee, another Wrimo. If you want to let me know your user name once you are signed up, I will add you as a friend. Best of luck. I love NaNo and have 2 story plots ready, I just have to decide which one I am going to use before the 1st!

Warmly,
Tamara

Tamika: said...

TC- I will see you in NaNo sphere!

I am praying for your condition. Good for you to keep pressing on in spite of the challenges.

Blessings to you...

Tamara (TC) Staples said...

Tamika, Yay for another Wrimo! Will you be using the username Tamika? I will look for you.